Sacred Heart Major Seminary was established in 1919 and the current structure was built four years later. Construction of the building was funded by prominent Detroit families such as the Fishers, Crowleys and Van Antwerps. It was designed in the English Tudor Gothic by the firm of Donaldson & Meier.
The floors of the main level and chapel are covered with Pewabic tile. A "Sedes Sapientiæ" or "Seat of Wisdom" statue stands outside one of the libraries.
A large crucifix hangs near the chapel entrance of the chapel.
The tabernacle stands in the east transept of the chapel.
Stained-glass windows were designed by Margaret Bouchez Cavanaugh.
Clerestory windows show noteworthy saints, including St. Gregory the Great (left) and St. Stephen the Protomartyr.
A side altar to the Blessed Virgin.
The high school closed in 1970 and only the college level remains.
The seminary is located at West Chicago and Linwood, at the western edge of the Boston-Edison historic district.
For more about the seminary: http://www.shms.edu/
For more photos: Flickr + AOD Film Services