St. Bonaventure Monastery was designed by Peter Dederichs and built in 1883. Dederichs would later become a parishioner at nearby St. Charles Borromeo and was the architect for their current church.
The local Capuchin friars initially served nearby clergy and gave emergency assistance to the needy. As the Great Depression began, their focused shifted mostly towards the latter.
The Capuchin Soup Kitchen was formally established in 1929 and has grown to include a second kitchen, an urban garden, a bakery, and more.
The monastery saw major renovations in 1982 affecting the altar in the main chapel.
The monastery has two chapels. The main chapel is used for Sunday Mass and private prayer. A friar's chapel behind the main altar is used for daily Mass and originally built for Liturgy of the Hours. The altar in the friar's chapel was carved by one of the now-deceased friars and displays dozens of relics.
Stained-glass windows and stations the main chapel.
San Damiano Crucifix located next the altar and St. Francis of Assisi displays his stigmata at the high altar.
The Blessed Mother and Sacred Heart of Jesus populate the side altars.
Details from the altar
Best known as the home of Venerable Solanus Casey, the monastery houses his incorrupt body as well as the Solanus Casey Center, a biographical museum, which opened in 2002. Solanus Casey is the first U.S. born male to be declared venerable and is currently a candidate for beatification.
The Solanus Casey Center contains artifacts from the namesake's life, including a family portrait, his habit and violin, a log of his prayer intentions, and the original stained-glass windows from the monastery.
The Fr. Solanus Guild, founded in 1960, leads his cause for beatification. Their YouTube page contains many healing testmonies and anecdotes.
Saint Bonavanture Chapel:
Open Daily: 7:30am to 5:00pm
Major Holidays: 7:30am to Noon
Weekday Mass: 7:45am
Holy Day Mass: 7:45am and 12:15pm
Sunday Mass: 9:00am
Monday through Saturday on the hour at: 10am, 11am, Noon, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm
As part of their ongoing series, "Detroit 2020," WXYZ recently did a segment about the state of St. Josaphat Church. Kevin Piotrowski, the parish council president, led a reporter on a brief tour of the church and talked about the repair efforts. Nearly $30,000 has been donated so far but the repair costs will easily reach six figures.
St. Charles Borromeo Church is located at 1491 Baldwin in southeast Detroit — less than a mile north of the Belle Isle bridge.
The parish was established in 1886 by a largely Belgian congregation. Architect and parishioner Peter Dederichs designed the current church in 1912 following the Romanesque Revival style. Four years after construction finished, the church had to expand to accommodate the growing congregation.
Like many innner-city churches, it has faced many challenges in the last 40 years. The parish has repeatedly faced financial hardship and possible closure since the 1980's. The Capuchin Brothers at nearby St. Bonaventure Monastery have led the parish for decades with Fr. Ray Stadmeyer, OFM Cap., as the current pastor.
The high altar is modeled after the Baroque style.
White marble and gold trims are found throughout the church.
Sunday Mass is celebrated at 9:00am and 11:00am. Wednesday Mass is held in the rectory at 10:30am. During Lent, Stations of the Cross will be at 7:00pm.
St. Joseph (left) and the namesake, St. Charles Borromeo
Throughout the year, St. Francis D'Assisi, in southwest Detroit, is celebrating their 125th year in existence. As part of the celebration, the church is reaching out to former parishioners, alumni, and the larger community.
St. Patrick Parish began in 1862 as Irish immigrants moved north from Corktown. The parish changed its name to SS. Peter & Paul in 1890 (when the Church was made the Cathedral) and reverted to St. Patrick in 1938.
The parish had an elementary school and high school, both of which closed in 1969. The all-girls high school went through three names: S.S. Peter & Paul Academy, Immaculata High School, and Girl's Catholic Central High School. Sr. Mary Watsonre-opened the school building in 1973 to minister to the elderly of the Cass Corridor. St. Patrick Senior Center, along with the parish food pantry, continues to provide meals, healthcare, transportation, and education for the elderly.
The parish has a wonderful Irish festival on the first Sunday of June every year.
St. Patrick is located at 58 Parsons, just west of Woodward and south of the Wayne State University campus. The current church was actually built for as a chapel dedicated to St. Therese the Little Flower in the 1920s for the school children to attend during the week. The original church on Adelaide near John R Burned down in the early 1990's a decade after being shuttered as all activities of the parish were moved to the Parsons street location.
Sunday Mass is at 9:30am in the church. Mass is held in the senior center at 11:00am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Fr. Loren Connell, OFM, serves as pastor of St. Patrick as well as St. Aloysius (downtown). Donald Leach, a permanent deacon, manages much of the community outreach for the cluster. The longtime pastor, Fr. Tod Laverty, OFM, passed away last year. Video from his funeral Mass, at St. Patrick, can be seen on Vimeo.
Large columns, arches, and goldleaf are found throughout the church.
The rose window is currently boarded up, unknown extent of any damage.