Saturday, February 02, 2019

Our Lady of the Angels Parish (formerly St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Taylor)

St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish was established in June, 1953, with Fr. Carlson Robideau as founding pastor. The first Mass was celebrated on July 10 at Sudman School in Allen Park; later Masses were held at Allen Park High School.
Fr. Carlson Robideau 

The parish bought farmland in the northeast section of Taylor Township and the groundbreaking for a permanent church was on November 8, 1953. A church with capacity for 1,000 was built at a cost of $125,000 ($1.2 million today). 1,600 people attended the first Mass in the new church on September 26, 1954. Cardinal Mooney dedicated the church a month later.

On November 20, 1955, ground was broken for a school and convent. Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth, Michigan, would teach at the school for decades.

Fr. Robideau retired in October, 1975, after 22 years as pastor. His former assistant, Fr. Edmund Borycz, was succeesor. St. Cyril Church was renovated in 1979-1980 and re-dedicated by Bishop Schoenherr on December 21, 1980.
Stations of the Cross line the back wall, along with flags and a banner of the Holy Name of Mary.

In June, 1989, Fr. Borycz was assigned to be a chaplain at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. Fr. Eugene Wojtewicz succeeded as third pastor on September 9, 1989. St. Cyril Parish celebrated its 40th anniversary in 1993 and Fr. Gary Morelli was installed as fourth pastor.

St. Cyril School closed in 2000 and consolidated with St. Paschal Baylon and St. Constance to become Taylor Catholic School. Classes were held at St. Paschal and the other sites closed.
Tall, narrow windows on both sides of the sanctuary.

Fr. Bernard Fraser was installed as the fifth and last pastor on August 17, 2003. Cardinal Maida celebrated the 50th anniversary of St. Cyril Parish on October 12, 2003.
The sanctuary of St. Cyril Church was renovated in early 2006
In May, 2007, it was announced that St. Cyril would merge with St. Paschal Baylon Parish. A transition committee determined that St. Paschal Church, two miles southwest, would close and St. Cyril Church would remain active. The first Mass for Our Lady of the Angels Parish was on November 25, 2007. Fr. Fraser remained as pastor of the new parish for two years.
The former St. Paschal Baylon Church

Fr. Dariusz Strzalkowski has been pastor since 2009. In addition to his responsibilities as pastor, he often celebrates Mass in Polish at Our Lady of the Scapular in Wyandotte.

Stained-glass windows were restored and inlaid in a pair of doors.

A large crucifix hangs in the vestibule; the baptismal font, Paschal candle, and holy oils outside of the sacristy.

St. Therese, the Divine Mercy, and Our Lady of Guadalupe on the east side of the nave.

St. Francis, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and Infant of Prague on the west side.

Saturday Vigil Mass is at 4:00pm preceded by Confessions at 3:00pm. Sunday Masses are at 8:00am, 10:00am, and Noon. Daily Mass is at 8:45am every weekday, except for Wednesday. The parish offers Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament after Mass on Thursdays, until 6:00pm.
St. John Paul II, St. Anne, and Mother of Perpetual Help on the west side of the nave

For more info: parish website + parish history
Video of the last Mass for St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish: YouTube

No comments: