St. Gabriel Parish was established in 1915 and the current edifice was built in 1953. The parish high school was closed in 1971 and absorbed by Holy Redeemer. The former parish school is now occupied by Cesar Chavez Academy.
The steeple, which probably used to house a bell, and the front entrance.
A large depiction of the crucifixion adorns the high altar.
Like many parishes in the Southwest Vicariate, the congregation is mostly Latino. As such, St. Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe are located at a side altar. Standing at the opposing side altar is the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
St. Jude and the baptismal font stand in the left transept.
A large crucifix and St. Gabriel stand in the right transept.
Small windows, each about one square foot, are found in the choir loft, vestibule, and transepts.
Fr. Marc Gawronski has served as pastor for the last year. Sundays Mass times are: 9:30am (Spanish), Noon (English), and 7:00pm (Spanish). Confessions are heard at 6:00pm on Mondays and Tuesdays, followed by 7:00pm Spanish Mass. Wednesdays also bring 9:00am Spanish Mass to the parish. First Fridays also bring 7:00pm Spanish Mass.
For more info: bulletin archive and parish website
For more photos: AOD Film Services