Tuesday, June 19, 2018
St. Anthony of Padua (Temperance)
The cornerstone of St. Antony of Padua Church was laid n July 4, 1907, but there were three delays before construction could start. Once construction began, the edifice was finished in seven months under the director of Fr. Alphonse Bertele, Pastor of St. Joseph in Ida.
The first Mass was in the church basement on November 24, 1907 and the first Mass in the sanctuary was the following Christmas. Fr. Denis Needham was the founding pastor and led the 87 founding families.
A statue of the namesake stands in front of the rectory. Another statue, in memory of World War II veterans, stands in front of the former parish school.
Large, painted Stations of the Cross have faded over the course of decades.
A Perpetual Adoration chapel, built in 1989, is located in between the vestibule and main church.
A large stained-glass window was installed in the vestibule for the parish's centennial.
A baptistery stands in the vestibule between the church and parish office. The baptismal font likely stood at the back of the church at one time. Another statue of St. Anthony stands near the baptistery.
Fr. Brian Hurley was installed as pastor in 2006 and served two terms. He will soon be installed as pastor of Immaculate Conception in Lapeer and Fr. Robert Slaton will become administrator of St. Anthony.
Stained-glass window above the central door.
The stained-glass windows here are almost identical to those at St. Joseph Church in nearby Ida. The windows in both churches were likely created by the same fabricator.
The church has a vault ceiling with many arches throughout. Much like the Stations, murals behind the altars appear to have faded over time.
The Deposition of Christ overlooks the main altar. A baldachin with the Descent of Holy Spirit covers the main altar.
The Immaculate Conception and St. Anthony with Child Jesus are depicted at side altars.
Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Thérèse stands in a niche.
Our Lady Help of Christians, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and St. Joseph stand in another niche.
The parish manages St. Anthony Cemetery, located three miles east of the church.
For more info: parish website + The Michigan Catholic