St. Patrick Parish began in 1862 as Irish immigrants moved north from Corktown. The parish changed its name to SS. Peter & Paul in 1890 (when the Church was made the Cathedral) and reverted to St. Patrick in 1938.
The parish had an elementary school and high school, both of which closed in 1969. The all-girls high school went through three names: S.S. Peter & Paul Academy, Immaculata High School, and Girl's Catholic Central High School. Sr. Mary Watson re-opened the school building in 1973 to minister to the elderly of the Cass Corridor. St. Patrick Senior Center, along with the parish food pantry, continues to provide meals, healthcare, transportation, and education for the elderly.
The parish has a wonderful Irish festival on the first Sunday of June every year.
St. Patrick is located at 58 Parsons, just west of Woodward and south of the Wayne State University campus. The current church was actually built for as a chapel dedicated to St. Therese the Little Flower in the 1920s for the school children to attend during the week. The original church on Adelaide near John R Burned down in the early 1990's a decade after being shuttered as all activities of the parish were moved to the Parsons street location.
Sunday Mass is at 9:30am in the church. Mass is held in the senior center at 11:00am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Fr. Loren Connell, OFM, serves as pastor of St. Patrick as well as St. Aloysius (downtown). Donald Leach, a permanent deacon, manages much of the community outreach for the cluster. The longtime pastor, Fr. Tod Laverty, OFM, passed away last year. Video from his funeral Mass, at St. Patrick, can be seen on Vimeo.