Precious Blood Parish was established in 1929, near McNichols and Schaefer, in northwest Detroit. The current church was designed by the firm of Maguolo & Quick and built in the early 1950s. The exterior columns are made of granite while walls are composed of sandstone.
An inscription outside the main entrance quotes Genesis 28:17b "this is nothing else but the house of God, the gateway to heaven."
Excerpts from the gospel are found on the walls of the nave.
The tabernacle is located in a chapel on the west side of the church.
Above one doorway is an inscription that translates as "this place is holy" and also shows Cardinal Mooney's coat of arms.
A mural depicting the Holy Trinity adorns the apse.
Bishop Moses Anderson, the first and only African-American bishop in the AOD, was consecrated as bishop in 1983. In addition to his duties of auxiliary bishop, overseeing parishes in the Central Region, he also served as pastor of Precious Blood 1992-2001. He later retired in 2003 when he reached the age of 75 and died January 1, 2013.
Sunday Mass is at 10:00am, Easter-Advent, at the former Precious Blood. During the winter, Mass is held at the much smaller St. Francis de Sales to lower utility expenses.
A prayer group frequently gathers in the church at 11:00am on Saturdays.
Fr. James O'Reilly, SJ, is the current pastor of St. Peter Claver as well as counselor at Loyola High School.
For more photos: Flickr
For more about the parish: parish website & bulletin archive
For more about Bishop Anderson: Detroit Free Press