St. Michael the Archangel was established by Bishop Gallagher on July 8, 1931. Fr. John Contway was the first pastor of ten families. Shelden Land Company donated six acres for a combined church and social hall. The building was dedicated on October 21, 1931, and was incorporated into the current school building.
Felician Sisters began teaching religious education in September, 1936, and the sisters established a new Motherhouse two months later. They started with just five students but quickly increased to 75 by the end of the academic year.
The parish began raising funds for a parish school which eventually opened in September of 1942 and led by five Felician Sisters. A second level was added to the school the following year to accomodate rapid growth.
Three more sisters joined the school in 1944-45 and enrollment was at 345 students. A gymnasium was built in 1949 and a convent the following year. Fr. Contway died in 1956 after 25 years of service to the parish. At the time, the parish has 1,425 registered families.
Fr. Thomas McMahon succeeded as pastor and oversaw construction of the current church in 1962. Enrollment at the school peaked at 1,165 students in 1965, making St. Michael the second-largest Catholic elementary school in the Archdiocese after St. Veronica.
Fr. William Tindall was installed as the parish's eighth pastor in 2003 and has served in that office since.
For more info: parish website
For more photos: AOD Film Services