St. Augustine–St. Monica Parish is housed in the former St. Catherine of Siena Church at 4151 Seminole, on the east side of Detroit.
St. Catherine of Siena (est. 1912) and St. Edward (est. 1927) merged in 1970 to form St. Catherine/St. Edward. In 1989, St. Catherine/St. Edward merged with St. Bernard of Clairvaux (est. 1849) to form St. Augustine–St. Monica Parish.
St. Edward's buildings were demolished but St. Bernard was sold and is, apparently, still in use by another denomination. Some claim that St. Bernard was the oldest Catholic church on the east side, however, Assumption Grotto was founded two years prior.
Like many local churches of its age, St. Augustine–St. Monica was designed by the firm of Donaldson and Meier. It follows a Romanesque style with some Byzantine influence.
Intricate motifs are featured above the confessionals.
Most of the stained-glass windows are elaborately detailed — especially those above the choir loft.
A majority of the windows in the nave show the Apostles.
Msgr. Daniel Trapp has served as pastor since 1996 and is also an instructor at Sacred Heart Major Seminary.
Sunday Mass is at 10:00am. Wednesdays and Saturdays bring 9:00am Mass (see calendar to confirm).
For more info: parish website
Recordings of Msgr. Trapp's homilies and image slideshows: YouTube