St. Louis the King Parish was established in 1923 and, like many churches in the northeast area, it had a mostly Polish congregation.
The latest edifice was designed by Walter J. Rozycki, built in 1959, and located on 7 Mile just east of Mound. Felician Sisters taught at the parish school before it closed in 1988, later demolished in 1993.
The church's namesake portrayed on the front facade as well as a side altar.
In 2012, St. Louis the King merged with St. Ladislaus and Transfiguration/Our Lady Help of Christians. St. Ladislaus will also soon close at a date TBD but Transfiguration will remain open. The last Mass at St. Louis the King was celebrated on August 31, 2013.
Agnus Dei above the high altar.
St. Francis of Assisi, Our Lady of Fatima, St. John Paul II, and St. Joseph with child Jesus in the east transept.
The west transept housed a statue of St. Maximilian Kolbe along with a processional canopy and banners.
Colorful, symbolic windows were found in the lower level of the nave as well as the sanctuary. Geometric, pale windows were found in the clerestory.
A cross-shaped set of windows found over the choir loft.
Plaques honored deceased ushers and veterans.
For more info: previous blog post, WXYZ, Creative Gene, bulletin achive